1) The traditional way! I.E. Switch the inflatable off at the mains and then wait a few minutes for as much air as possible to naturally escape and then walk all over the inflatable to get as much air out as possible. (Try to avoid walking on the artwork! As you want this to be as clean as possible for the next hire). Also try to ensure your shoes are not too muddy otherwise it will be covered in dirty footprints!
2) Your local bouncy castle hire company like KC Bouncy Castles at www.kcbouncycastles.co.uk who has equipment may have zips in it or extra deflation tubes — make sure that these are all undone.
3) There is a way that you can use the blower to get more air out. Disconnect the blower from the outlet tube, turn the blower around 90 degrees and then fix some rolled up cardboard to go on the vent of the blower and then through the outlet tube. Try and make the connections as air-tight as possible. Then switch the blower* on and it should suck in some of the air from the inflatable. You may need to get a special bracket to attach the cardboard tube to the vent on the side of the blower **.
4) Leave the inflatable for 20 minutes for the air to escape naturally. (This is probably not practicable in most situations especially on a busy hire day!) You should be looking to have the bouncy castle packed away within 10 minutes.. Although this is dependent upon the size of the inflatable and the environment.
5) Ask the children at the party (or even the adults) to help you get the air out by trampling on it. (Try to make sure their shoes are reasonably clean!) This can make very light work of getting all the air out.
Mildew on bouncy castles occurs when mould combines with moisture which is always present in the air. The mildew grows in damp dark warm places. The moisture may come from putting the bouncy castle away whilst still wet or damp.
When the conditions are right, mildew begins to grow within 24 – 48 hours and will continue until the problem is addressed.
The best way to prevent the build-up of mildew is to dry out your equipment (air it out in the sun if possible) thoroughly as soon as you can. Cleaning with soap and water will often take care of mildew stains, but actually killing mildew requires the power of bleach. It’s really important though that you don’t use the bleach neat, as the fumes can be toxic and also it can damage the material the inflatable is made from (and damage the artwork).
Dilute the bleach (e.G. 1 part of bleach to 10 parts of water). Try it first on a non-visible part or a loose piece of material in your repair kit. Wear rubber gloves and use a sponge, cloth or soft-bristled brush to apply the solution. Wipe down with a damp sponge.
Once it is completely dry, you can then sprinkle some talculm powder onto the unit. Some hirers swear by this as it keeps the inflatable smelling pleasant and also seems to help to absorb any moisture.
Some hirer’s use a cloth and wipe the infected area with methylated spirits and water (50/50 ratio) followed by wiping down with a damped cloth containing just water. Again, it would be a good idea to test the solution on a loose piece of material first (e.G. In your repair kit) to avoid damaging the inflatable/artwork.
Also, important to have skin and mouth protection.